Chickpeas - good for more than just hummus!
A great source of protein, chickpeas are incredibly versatile. We know them for hummus, however, can be used in many other recipes, including soups and stews, and even on pizza. Nut-free, vegetarian and gluten-free, chickpeas have a broad appeal to anyone looking for a healthy option while nourishing their body with good, healthy protein.
This is an awesome and flavourful, protein and fibre packed soup. Using simple ingredients you would typically find in your cupboard and refrigerator, it's so easy to make and you'd wished you made a double batch.
1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
3 tablespoons olive oil2 large onions, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 sprig thyme
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
1 bunch broccoli, stems reserved for another use, cut into small florets
Flat-leaf parsley and fresh tarragon leaves (for garnish)
- Step 1
- If using dried chickpeas, place in a medium bowl and add cold water to cover by 2-inch. Let soak overnight in refrigerator. Drain chickpeas.
- Step 2
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and thyme sprig; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, 10-15 minutes. Add chickpeas and wine. Bring to a rapid simmer; cook until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chickpeas are very soft, 1 1/2-2 hours for dried chickpeas, or about 30 minutes for canned. Discard thyme sprig.
- Step 3
- Working in batches, purée chickpea mixture in a blender or with an immersion blender, adding water by 1/2-cupfuls if needed, until smooth. Season with salt. DO AHEAD: Chickpea soup can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.
- Step 4
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water.
- Step 5
- Reheat soup. Divide soup among bowls and garnish with broccoli and herbs.
Nutrition Per Serving
1 serving contains: Calories (kcal) 290 Fat (g) 8 Saturated Fat (g) .5 Cholesterol (mg) 0 Carbohydrates (g) 41 Dietary Fiber (g) 9 Total Sugars (g) 8 Protein (g) 13 Sodium (mg) 920